NAMI Family & Friends is a 90-minute or 4-hour seminar that informs people who have loved ones with a mental health condition how to best support them. It’s also an opportunity for participants to meet other people in similar situations and gain community support.
There is a free NAMI Family & Friends companion eBook available that provides important information about mental health conditions including: conditions and diagnoses, treatment and recovery, crisis planning, resources and more.
The seminar is led by trained people with lived experience of support a family member with a mental health condition. They walk participants through the following topics:
· Understanding diagnoses, treatment and recovery
· Effective communication strategies
· The importance of self-care
· Crisis preparation strategies
· NAMI and community resources
Goals of the seminar
· Provide current information about mental health conditions
· Introduce skills in effective communication and crisis preparation
· Promote self-care and stress management for the family member/caregiver
· Share local mental health resources
Who can participate
NAMI Family & Friends is open to the general public.